In 2005 while researching the subject of leadership styles as adopted by various established business leaders around the world, I came across this young man by the name of Tidjane Thiam – a name that sounded very much Chinese because of the name “Thiam” adoption and combining with “Tidjane”, this guy sort of drawn in me to be some descendant of the Genghiz Khan generation. Of course, he was a francophone and six foot four black man from Ivory Coast. At that time of the research, he was the Group Strategy and Development Director of Aviva Plc and what strikes me then was his DECISIVENESS rather than his ability to DELIBERATE! He believed himself to be a person of HIGH EQ – it is all about emotion that takes thing to the next stage and not all about analysis that can lead to paralysis. He was also labeled by his colleagues and associates as a man in a hurry….
In 2007, I learned that he was the CFO of Prudential UK…. with annual remuneration package of £1.24 million and by October 2009, he took over as Prudential’s CEO. By February 2010, he was already on top of a deal so huge that could either make or break him – showing what a fast and sharp worker he was.
Not much was known about Tidjane’s LEADESHIP qualities and characterics that could made some learning curves for me? But he represents the tail-end Generation Baby-Boomer, something synonymous to my generation – something more relevant to me, as the next generation started to shape both the world economy and the business arena in their own discreet manner.
Perhaps putting a SUMMARY of his career in a tag below may help us see something about this guy….
Not much was known about Tidjane Thiam as most literature (if available) were actually written in French including his posting on facebook. But base on his career profile, Tidjane is depicted as an aggressive person with an exceptional learning curve, highly confident in outlook and have strong channels within the international financial circles. Despite his training in finance, he has never known to be meticulous and overly focus on number crunching – he is more adept in the implementation aspect, that is making things work! He believes 80% of a prescribed solution or plan is into MAKING THINGS WORK! The other 20% is just about the plan or solution details……
He also place emphasis on decisiveness rather than long hours of deliberation – ultimately, most things are in the actions rather than the numbers and the details!
|“In today’s very competitive markets, decisiveness is 80% with ability to deliberate taking up the 20% of the overall planning process….”|
If Tidjane Thiam made it this time…again, I supposed, the lesson he should be sending to the business world is about DECISIVENESS RATHER THAN ABILITY TO DELIBERATE. This should revolutionise how the next generation of managers should think and act… in particularly to our Malaysian insurance industry, which is certainly lacking in this area of development.
Now, what do you think?